General Questions


Car Purchases

Payment to Caregivers

Distributions From A Trust Of A Minor

"Parents have a duty to support their minor children in a manner consistent with the parent's standard of living. Parents are generally expected to pay for their children's food, clothing and shelter needs. Exceptions may be made if the parent's income is not sufficient or if they are unable to earn a livable wage. Parents in these situations should apply for other government assistance prior to using their child's trust to pay for basic support needs. While it is unfortunate, the sole benefit rule prevents trust funds from being used for the benefit of other family members. Please see the below questions and answers for further clarification."


CPT does not provide legal advice. Answers to these questions are generalized and because all cases are different and each state has different laws pertaining to trusts, these answers may not apply to your particular case. Please seek the advice of an attorney or contact us with questions pertaining to your individual case.