Excluded Resources are assets that are not included or counted when the Social Security Administration (SSA) determines a beneficiary’s eligibility for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Keep in mind, a beneficiary’s individual assets cannot exceed the $2,000 limit $3,000 for a couples. With exempt resources, some items or assets are allowed to be possessed by the beneficiary without being counted in the $2,000 asset limit.​Some of the assets that the SSA deems as exempt include the following:

  • One vehicle
  • A home of any value (beneficiary’s primary residence)
  • Household goods (e.g. furniture)
  • Appliances (e.g. toaster, washer, dryer)
  • Personal effects (e.g. toiletries)
  • Clothing
  • Education
  • Jewelry (however, it cannot go over the $2,000 asset limit)
  • Burial plot/space
  • Services (e.g. dental work, massage)

When a beneficiary submits a disbursement request form for exempt resources to be purchased or paid for, CPT, as trustee is able to process the request and disburse payment to proper payees without the purchase or ownership of items jeopardizing the beneficiary’s government benefits.

A great table to refer to in regards to what a Special Needs Trust can pay for without concern in risking a beneficiary’s SSI benefits can be viewed from the book, Special Needs Trusts: Protect Your Child’s Financial Future by Stephen Elias, Kevin Urbatsch, and Michele Fuller. In addition, a table can be found from the SSA’s Program Operations Manual (POMS), click here for more information regarding excluded/exempt resources.

If you are unsure of what is considered as an exempt resource or which items are allowed to be purchased with your special needs trust, contact us or message us below.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided by CPT is to be used for informational purposes only. It is intended to be used as a guide prior to consultation with an attorney familiar with your specific legal situation. CPT is not engaged in rendering legal advice, and this form is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. If you require legal advice, you should seek the services of an attorney. © 2016 CPT All rights reserved.